This week on Career Crashers Joel is joined by Ron Thurston to talk about why your retail work is an incredible place to start and build a career.
Ron is Vice President of Stores at INTERMIX a division of Gap Inc. and has been retail leadership for 25+ years. He is also the author of Retail Pride: The Guide to Celebrating Your Accidental Career.
For so many of us, retail and service jobs are our introduction to work. They help us pay the rent, but also teach us the fundamental skills of creating value for others. But too many people don’t look at their work in retail with pride. Ron is on a mission to change that.
Listen on your favorite podcast app
Here are some quick links to the show:
P.S. Don’t forget to give the show five stars (or six)! 😉
- The power of retail, and how, contrary to popular belief, brick & mortal still dwarfs e-commerce.
- Why retail is not just something you do while you’re waiting for something else to happen.
- Why retail workers are always self-taught and why the most curious rise to the top.
- How saying “yes” to more work early in your career helps you build skills and reputation that help grow your career.
- Displaying empathy, and why it’s key to being successful.
- All the things you learn working in retail that can be leveraged into other careers.
Connect with Ron
If you’ve got a story you’d like to share, don’t hesitate! Email Joel at Joel [at] Crash [dot] co.