Ben Mercer is a former professional rugby player whose career took him all over the UK and France. But after years of professionally playing the sport he grew up loving, he realized it was time to make the leap and start the next stage in his career.
So he retired from rugby, leaned into his writing and other interests, and set out to crash an entirely new career.
On this episode, Ben joins Isaac to share the journey to and through professional rugby, explore why being a generalist is important, and talk about Ben’s book and career.
Listen on your favorite podcast app
Here are some quick links to the show:
P.S. Don’t forget to give us five stars (or six)! 😉
- How Ben got to the point where he played rugby professionally
- When he started thinking about what life and career would be like after finishing with rugby
- When and why Ben reached an end in his rugby career
- Exploring the idea of the scholar-athlete
- How the new generation of athletes is becoming more well-rounded—and how they’re thinking about life after their career in sports
- Diversifying your identity
- Writing a book as a way to end a phase of life
Connect with Ben
If you’ve got a story you’d like to share, don’t hesitate! Email Isaac at Isaac [at] Crash [dot] co.
You can stay up-to-date on every Career Crasher episode as it launches here.