Pedro Mattos is the head of business development at Self-Publishing School, and he’s got an incredible story of winning his first opportunity.
From dropping out of school to running a painting business, starting a gym, and teaching himself sales and marketing tactics, Pedro hasn’t taken the normal career launch path. When he found a company whose mission he loved, he created a pitch—and ended up helping the company grow.
In this episode of Career Crashers, Pedro joins Isaac to break down how he won a great opportunity before it even existed.
This is a fantastic episode, especially if you’re a young career crasher who wants to win a new job at a company you love.
Instead of looking at an application page at a company, instead of blasting out my resume to different opportunities, I got into the mindset of learning what challenges a company has, then looking at my skillsets and giving them a very specific pitch as to how I could solve their problem.
Listen on your favorite podcast app
Here are some quick links to the show:
P.S. Don’t forget to give the show five stars (or six)! 😉
- How Pedro crashed his career from the start—from a running a five-figure painting business to working in sales for Self-Publishing School
- How Pedro won his job with Self-Publishing School by pitching his own role and reaching out through unconventional channels
- Why being a customer helps in the job search
- Starting a job with a 30-day trial
- Spending time on a deep job hunt, focused on two companies that really interested him, instead of a broad job hunt
Connect with Pedro
If you’ve got a story you’d like to share, don’t hesitate! Email Isaac at Isaac [at] Crash [dot] co.
You can stay up-to-date on every Career Crasher episode as it launches here.